kursatgol

XUP USB-JTAG Programmer

Question

Hi All,

Is there anybody have any experience about XUP (Xilinx University Program) USB-JTAG Programmer Revision-G using with Vivado 2015 or 2018? I have some little experience with Vivado 2015.5 and 2018.1 but regarding my experiences XUP USB-JTAG Programmer is not compatible with Vivado? I tried all ways on Centos-7 OS and the particular script (install_drivers.tar.gz). I aimed to program the Zedboard for petalinux applications developing but no success with XUP USB-JTAG Rev.G and Vivado running on Centos-7. Could you please share any suggestions if you have?

Regards.

Kursat Gol

xup_problem.png

16 answers to this question

Hello @kursatgol,

I am finding out some for information about this; I will let you know when I find out more details, though my initial gut reaction is that if the XUP USB JTAG programmer is based off of the Platform Cable USB (the original as opposed to Platform Cable USB ii), it may not be able to detect Xilinx's Zynq and 7-series devices. I am finding out for certain though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @kursatgol,

The modules that we had locally at the office weren't reliably working so we have requested a new one to be sent so we can get some accurate information about it.

Thank you for your patience,
JColvin

Hi @kursatgol,

If the module did not arrive this past Friday (June 8th), I would expect that it should arrive in our office in the by June 13th at the latest, though to be fair, like other things, we don't have have control if there are any shipping delays, but I am hoping this will not be the case.

Thank you for your patience,
JColvin

Hi @kursatgol,

The module arrived yesterday afternoon. Our design engineer was able to get it to detect and program Zynq and other 7-series devices on a Windows 7 machine, but was not able to get it working as of yet on a Windows 10 machine. I will ask about Linux systems as well, though I do not know if they have any distribution readily available to them or not.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @kursatgol,

I apologize for the delay. Our design engineer was able to get it working in Windows 10 (the install script as part of the Xilinx installation process for the cable drivers is not working correctly), and plans on trying to get the cable drivers working in a Linux distro. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi @kursatgol,

Our engineer was able to get the XUP cable recognized and working on a Centos 7 64-bit VM with Vivado 2018.1 without much issue. The main thing that they did (detailed in the Installing Cable Drivers section of Xilinx UG973) and went to their install_install drivers directory (../data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers) and executed the ./install_drivers script as sudo. They were then able to run Vivado and use the hardware manager as normal to connect to the cable and have Vivado 2018.1 successfully auto-connect to the XUP USB JTAG cable and the downstream Zedboard.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JCovin,

1. I performed the installation cable drivers in Vivado Installer (2018.2).

2. I run install_drivers_wrapper.bat. The log file reports that everything installed without errors.

3. After connecting XUP in Device Manager (Win10 64 Pro):

pic.PNG.c8257a4c679d4a69604e5dc15f18b32e.PNG

It is right?

4. But Vivado does not find the device:

pic2.PNG.86cc50cc57d5c7766e4ada0017adba02.PNG

5. Xilinx Platform Cable USB is working properly:

pic3.PNG.e01fd979309d962dc0b0803849a8a8e9.PNG

What is my problem?

Thanks!

Hi @Edwardz,

I checked back email chain with the previously mentioned engineer and found that the Xilinx install script does not work correctly. This is for Vivado 2017.4, but presuming 2018.2 is set up similarlly, I would try the following (quoted from the engineer in question):

"I just spent some time fiddling around on Windows 10 and finally managed to get it working with Vivado 2017.4. The install script that Xilinx runs as part of cable driver installation does NOT work correctly. Initially the XUP USB JTAG cable would show up in the device manager under "Programming cables" as a "Xilinx Embedded Platform USB Firmware Loader" and would not be found by the Vivado Hardware Manager. I had to right click on “Xilinx Embedded Platform USB Firmware Loader” in the device manager and click “Uinstall”. When the uninstall dialog popped up I checked the box the box that says “Delete the driver software for this device.” And then click ok. Once driver uinstall completed I disconnected the programming cable. I then launched a command prompt in administrator mode and navigated to "C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\dlc10_win7". Once in this directory I ran the following 4 commands:

wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf uninstall
wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf uninstall
wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf install
wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf install

After doing this I connected the cable and Windows loaded two drivers for it: a Jungo driver and a “Xilinx USB Cable” driver under the “Programming cables” section. After this I was able to get Hardware Manager to recognize the device and find the Zynq 7020 that’s on the Zed board. This information is somewhat documented here:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Re-Platform-Cable-USB-II-Stopped-Working/td-p/814928"

Let me know how this goes for you.

Thanks,
JColvin