kinchee87

Pmod NAV with MicroBlaze

Question

Hi there,

I have an ARTY-S7 50 with the NAV Pmod connected to the JD connector. I have instantiated a MicroBlaze processor to run the example code that comes with the Vivado Pmod library. It looks like I am able to get readings from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer (are all housed in the LSM9DS1 chip), but I am unable to get any readings from the barometer and temperature sensor (all housed in the LPS25HB chip). I'm not sure how to go about debugging this problem. Here's an example of the output I get:

Device IDs
A/G ID:104  MAG ID:61  ALT ID:255

Accelerometer G values = X: 0.02 G, Y: -0.01 G, Z: 0.96 G
    1.06 degrees from vertical
Gyro dps values = X: 1.41 dps, Y: 3.66 dps, Z: -0.86 dps
    rotating about vertical at  -0.87 dps (Marginal)
Magnetometer Gauss values = X:-0.21 Gauss, Y:-0.16 Gauss, Z:-0.41 Gauss
    Heading in Degrees: 216.89   Y Direction: South-West
Pressure: 1048575.000000 hPa
Altitude: 24.3 metres
Temperature: 42.50 degrees Celsius

You can see that the device IDs can be read for the accelerometer/gyroscope and the magnetometer, but not for the barometer (ALT ID). Only the default pressure, altitude, and temperature readings are being printed. If the SPI interface is working for the LSM9DS1 chip then I assume that it is also working for the LPS25HB chip. I've noticed that the NAV Pmod runs quite hot.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron,

Sorry for being silent for the past 6 months because I didn't find the time to revisit my FPGA hobby. However, I did buy a new PmodNAV and it just arrived today. I plugged it into my set up (untouched since I last posted) and now I get readings from all of the instruments (accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, barometer, and thermometer)! I'm also able to read the device ID of the barometer/thermometer (ALT ID = 189).

So I guess my original PmodNAV is defective and the resolution was to get a new one. I've attached pictures of my original PmodNAV if you're interested in whether there's a physical defect.

Anyway, thanks!

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

Hi @kinchee87,

Glad to hear the new PmodNAV works correctly and that you are having some time to work on your FPGA hobby! Thank you for for letting us know how you resolved the issue and the attached pictures.

thank you,

Jon