Adept DPTI support

zygot
Go to solution Solved by sbobrowicz,

Question

The user's manual for both the Nexus Video and Genesys 2 boards claim to have a USB 2.0 parallel DPTI supported by the Adept API. They have the hardware but the latest Adept software does not support the FT2232H device in the mode it's designed to be used in. The Windows Adept Utility does not support the FPGA on either board. What's your time frame for making good on your advertised functionality?

I wanted to use DPTI demo because it seemed to be a fast way for using USB interface and then save time for my others developments. In fact I'm struggling with genesys2 reference manual that is full of errors and some code that isn't working for the device it supposed to work with.

2 hours ago, cchamp said:

I wanted to use DPTI demo because it seemed to be a fast way for using USB interface and then save time for my others developments

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just not going to be as trivial as you want it to be. Then again the USB standard isn't as simple or straightforward in practical use as you want it to be. I felt compelled to write my own HDL to handle the CY7C68013A 8-bit interface after using it on a few projects. Ditto the FTDI devices. I've never since felt that any of that effort was a waste of time. But wadda I know? (you're making me feel like Fiddler on the Roof)

As to getting a 'fast' way to do nifty things. I advise abandoning foolish quests when it comes to complex things like FPGA development and USB interfaces. Bite the bullet, do the work, get the reward...

2 hours ago, cchamp said:

In fact I'm struggling with genesys2 reference manual that is full of errors

It took a couple of years of badgering on my part but the latest version of the Geneys2 documentation has appeared to be free of the obvious errors that afflicted earlier versions for a while now, if you can find it. One document that Digilent has always gotten right, as far as I've seen, is the schematic. The schematic is your gold standard. It's true that since moving to the FTDI programming and USB interface their schematics have been incomplete... that's another topic. You need to know something about the device connections to do DPTI and Digilent's constraints files have been a reliable, if inadequate, substitution for providing that information. I really have no idea what kind of proprietary magic they believe that they are hiding by supplying a blank page in their FPGA board schematics. My gut feeling, from decades in the electronics industry,  is that it must involve some NDA information that FTDI is willing to share with them but not the rest of us (end user slobs who finance all of this). And yes I know, companies have a legitimate right to protect themselves from miscreants who'd rather steal their engineering than pay for it.

Edited by zygot