Reading A Signal Of A Nexys 4 Board

jc2694

Question

Hi,

I've been working for a while now to create a program which generates a specific signal. I think I may have succeeded but I don't know how to verify that. I was hoping that there would be a way to use the Diligent Adept software or Xilinx ISE to see what my board is outputting.

Hardware/software;

Im using A nexys 4 board, ISE 14.7, and adept 2.

The code I have was generated by Matlab's hdl coder and the out puts are two 10-bit signals.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

To test any signal in an FPGA design using ISE you can create a test bench using isim built into ISE. There is a project on our learn site that has a good example of how to write a test bench. You can find that project here

The test bench allows you to visually see what signals you are producing. 

Alternatively, if you have an oscilloscope, you can run your program and physically scope the port where you are outputting that signal. I personally use the Analog Discovery for this purpose. 

Apparently you have no previous experience coding in an HDL. It would be easier for you to create a VHDL test bench. I'm currently learning VHDL from some external websites since I could not follow the Verilog tutorials made by Digilent; the explanations related to the code are just poor. If you so want, you can follow this easy-to-understand VHDL tutorial on test benching.

Archived