Can Discovery2 record analog wave then play it back?

blipton

Question

I'm trying to decide between the discovery2 and another pc based oscope/awg also in a similar price range.    The latter allows to create custom applications in an fpga, but honestly, if the record/playback function already exists in a tool I would prefer to just use it.

I'm trying to capture an 10V analog wave, max 50khz bandwidth.. once captured, I'd like to modify it slightly, and  then play it back out the dac (3.3v).     How close or easy would the Discovery2 get me to this goal?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Hi @blipton 

This can be done with the WaveForms application.

With the Scope interface you can capture (8k samples up to 100MHz) or record long acquisition (10M samples up to 1-2MHz). In case you need you can also apply simple, custom math or filters... The data can be exported to file CSV, TXT or binary. The next software version will let you also to save WAV.

With the Wavegen interface you can load custom pattern or load up to 100M samples from file and play at up to 500kHz-1MHz rate.

Edit: The application and device features can be explored in demo mode.
https://reference.digilentinc.com/waveforms3

On 6/4/2018 at 6:00 AM, attila said:

Hi @blipton 

This can be done with the WaveForms application.

With the Scope interface you can capture (8k samples up to 100MHz) or record long acquisition (10M samples up to 1-2MHz). In case you need you can also apply simple, custom math or filters... The data can be exported to file CSV, TXT or binary. The next software version will let you also to save WAV.

With the Wavegen interface you can load custom pattern or load up to 100M samples from file and play at up to 500kHz-1MHz rate.

Edit: The application and device features can be explored in demo mode.
https://reference.digilentinc.com/waveforms3

Wow, this looks good, especially that the software is included in the cost of the Discovery2!

My application is to record ntsc video, and to later play it back.   Do you see any reason any potential issues?   For example, the TV typically has a 50 ohm / 75 ohm termination switch.. do you think the discovery2 would have any problem driving that?

Archived