patrick poirier

ARTY running MicroBlaze on FreeRTOS

Question

Hello Patrick,

We don't have finished the implementation of Microblaze on Arty using FreeRTOS. It is not known when it will be finished. You can keep an eye on Avnet's Arty materials on their site. 

Best regards,

Bianca

Hello Bianca,

Hope that you will issue this release soon, because as you know , this is basically what this product is designed for : A MicroBlaze development platform.

Please keep us updated , Best Regards

Patrick

FreeRTOS should run on any Microblaze, we have tested lots of different configurations.

The main FreeRTOS demo for Microblaze can be found here: http://www.freertos.org/RTOS-Xilinx-Microblaze-KC705.html

...with re-targeting information here: http://www.freertos.org/porting-a-freertos-demo-to-different-hardware.html

I spoke with Jim Burnham at Xilinx, and he is currently working to get the project he talks about in the video posted. The timeline is hard to say right now, especially given the holidays. I'll post here again once it goes live.

Hello,

Do you have any update on this issue ?

My expectation were simple:

A)  Get a step by step walk-through of creating afully functionnal Microblaze system with cores that communicate with all of the peripherals on the Arty using the Vivado IP.

B ) Fully functionnal  RTOS  image including the drivers so I can really experiment with the power and flexibility of the Artix 7.  

Is is what I was supposed to have , or I get lost in translation looking at Jim Burnham 's  video ?

OMG.... Is this Xilinx Coprorate Stuff ?  

I downloaded the Zip file and it is pretty much like the echo server nomenclature , just an Ethernet implementation (No Serial , No ADC...). It is pre 2015.2 so it crashes when updating... a waste of time...

Thanks for the follow-up Sam, but until Mister Burnham delivers what he sowed on the video , on the wiki pages with the same details and quality (not the punk patchwork that you found) I'll be a little skeptical.... By the way, I suggest that you remove this, from thttps://reference.digilentinc.com/arty:basedesign,  === An updated board file will be available after the holiday. 

Well Sam, we are making progress !!!

The new implementation for Microblaze seem to be working fine. So following the step on this wiki https://reference.digilentinc.com/arty:basedesign I builded a functionnal bin file. Looking T the IP design (see attached)  , all the IO are connected. I just had time to test echo server with ethernet port and it is OK. Might proceed to additionnal test later.

Now, what about implementing FreeRTOS on this baby ?

Thanks for your support :)

MICROBLAZE.jpg

Glad progress is being made... Let us know how the latest try goes with those files from the Xilinx wiki. 

FYI, We've never run freertos on the Arty BSD, so you are trudging a bit outside our expertise... but we are happy to lend any help we can here.

Did you look into what the freeRTOS website (I have a sneaking suspicion it might actually be a person) said above? The materials there should help to get FreeRTOS running on the Arty BSD you got working.

I've also just found that it is possible to generate a freertos "hello world" project in SDK automatically with the Arty BSD. Just create a new Application project, set the OS to freertos821_xilinx, and choose the FreeRTOS Hello World template. Maybe that will help...

Hello Sam,

OK the FreeRtos works on the Arty MicroBlaze... You can consider this post closed :-)

So now I can build a processor from scratch and tailor it to my requirement, it just take a couple of hundred hours of coding, so it is not as easy and fast as uploading a blink code into a 3$ Arduino, but it does what's advertised.

Thanks

5 hours ago, jpeyron said:
5 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @mrpackethead,

Here is the FreeRTOS+TCP Open source and thread safe TCP/IP stack for FreeRTOS. Here is the Xilinx Zynq-7000 (dual core ARM Cortex-A9) SoC Port.

cheers,

Jon

Thanks Jon,    Thats helpful.   Do you think it would be possible to port it to an Artix Port.. ( I'd like to make it work on an Arty-S7 )

Hi @mrpackethead,

In Vivado 2018.2 create the ethernet microblaze project for the Arty-S7-50 ,which has a Spartan 7 FPGA, export the hardware including bitstream and launched SDK. Once SDK is open create a new application and under OS platform choose FreeRTOS10_xilinx. and click next. Then you have multiple FreeRTOS LWiP templates. I have attach screen shots.

cheers,

Jon

freeRTOS_1.jpg

freeRTOS_2.jpg

@Jpeyron,

I'm using an Arty  ( artic-7 ) 35..   It seems that there might be be an issue with using Vivado SDK 2018.2  when you try to create a FreeRTOS + LwIP project..    in the BSP, it trys to include lwip/timers.h that does not exisit.       Have you been able to make this work?   

5 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @mrpackethead,

I haven't used the FreeRTOS + LwIP template. Tomorrow i will try using the FreeRTOS + LwIP template.

thank you,

Jon

Make sure that you are using 2018.2 

Xemacliteif.c has an include ( line 65 )    for "lwip/timers.h"      lwip 2.0.02 does not have this, but it does have timeouts.h which appears very similar.    However it a simple swap doe'stn fix the problem.

9 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @mrpackethead,

I haven't used the FreeRTOS + LwIP template. Tomorrow i will try using the FreeRTOS + LwIP template.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @mrpackethead,

I completed and verified a Free_RTOS LWIP echo server on the Arty-A7-35T in Vivado 2018.2 here. As you mentioned above i had to replace the "xadapter.c". The "xadapter.c" file is attached to this forum here. I also had to changed timers.h to timeouts.h  in the "xemacliteif.c" as discussed in the xilinx forum thread you linked above. The echo server works but it takes almost a minute to echo back the text sent.  We would suggest that you reach out the xilinx and Free-RTOS about the extreme delay in this echo server template.

thank you,

Jon

Arty_free_rtos_5.jpg

Arty_free_rtos_1.jpg

Arty_free_rtos_4.jpg

Arty_free_rtos_2.jpg

Arty_free_rtos_3.jpg