MIMO Applications Using Multiple Pmod Wifi Modules

Ryu-102

Question

Hello everyone,

I am starting a project that requires multiple antennas. I am considering using multiple Pmod Wifi Modules as each one contains one PCB antenna. The goal is to use upwards of 6 of these Pmod Wifi Modules which will all be clocked externally by an Xilinx Zynq board. 

Is this idea feasible? As in, will my board be able to interface and handle the inputs of 6 Pmod Wifi Modules.

Thanks,

Ryan

4 answers to this question

Hi @Ryu-102,

Here is the Vivado library which has the Pmod WIFI which to my knowledge is open source. You will need to make some alterations to use it with the   Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC Zcu-102 evaluation board. We only have non-plus ultrascale listed in the compatibility list of the Pmod IP Cores. You would need to open a project with a board selected from an already supported family (zynq, whatever), then add the IP to a BD, then edit in IP packager. Then go to the Compatibility Packaging step, "add family, check the "all families and parts" box. Next go to "review and package", repackage the IP. Once you have the Pmod WIFI IP core working with your Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC Zcu-102 evaluation board i do not see a reason why you could not have 6 Pmod WIFI's connected to your  Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC Zcu-102 evaluation board.   Here is the Pmod WIFI's resource center which has the schematic, Reference manual and a link to the MRF24WG0MA datasheet. The only thing we link to that is not open source is a Microchip library for MPIDE which would not be used with an FPGA.

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon,

For this project, I am using a Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC Zcu-102 evaluation board. The purpose of the project is to do localization. Essentially, the amount of data and data rate is not important. The crucial requirement is that the board must be able to reliably pick up signals from multiple receivers on a shared clock. As long as all 6 Pmod Wifi Modules can all receive signals reliably, channel state information (CSI) can be extracted which allows for localization.

I think with some FMC HPC to pmod converters, I can attach up to 6 pmod wifi modules. Just wondering if running all 6 at once is a possibility or not. 

Also,  is everything surrounding this module open source?

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

Archived