Digilent Spartan 3A/3AN Starter Kit USB JTAG programming issue

parvy

Question

Hi Guys,

I am trying to program the above device via the on board USB JTAG via the Indirect Programming Method as described in the User Guide. I believe I have all the correct jumper settings, but I get the following warning  (WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !) when running ISE iMPACT to program the device.

Can anyone help as to what the issue might be with this please?

Thanks a lot

Parvy

=========================================================

GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Plugin Version: 2.4.4
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: no JTAG device was found.
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
*** WARNING ***: When port is set to auto detect mode, cable speed is set to default 6 MHz regardless of explicit arguments supplied for setting the baud rates
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver file xusb_emb.sys found.
 Driver version: src=1029, dest=1029.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 11.7.0.0. WinDriver v11.7.0 Jungo Connectivity (c) 1997 - 2014 Build Date: Oct 26 2014 x86_64 64bit SYS 09:16:51, version = 1170.
Invalid device driver license.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 11.7.0.0. WinDriver v11.7.0 Jungo Connectivity (c) 1997 - 2014 Build Date: Oct 26 2014 x86_64 64bit SYS 09:16:51, version = 1170.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      2 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.
WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

=====================================================================================

12 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron

Thank you so much for getting back to me…its really appreciated.

I have tried a different USB cable but with no luck.

Also just downloaded and installed Adept 2 as recommended, but even this app is unable to find the board.

I was wondering if I have incorrect jumper configurations.

Here is what I did:

I followed the jumper settings as indicated in the Indirect Programming Method of the starter kit user manual:

JP1 ->  CS0-B & ROM-CS1 shorted (this selects the STMicro M25P16 PROM)

J26 -> M1 jumper inserted   (Master SPI mode)

J26 -> M2 jumper inserted

J16 -> jumper removed (PROG_B pin floating)

Capture.JPG

jp.JPG

Hi @jpeyron

Thank you for that information. In fact that is the page i followed for the settings originally but these do not seem to make any difference to the JTAG communication.

Is there anything else that i may be overlooking?

Thanks a lot

Parvy

Hi @jpeyron

Thanks a lot for all your help.

I have got the cable connection problem fixed. Its to do with Jungo drivers.

In order to communicate with the board an older driver Ver 10.2.1.0 has to be installed and that works fine.

I now have another issue regarding SPI flash programming via the INDIRECT PROGRAMMING method

I have followed the programming flow via iMPACT to program the FPGA and an SPI FLASH (ST M25P16 PROM)  via the USB cable.

However when I power down the board the configuration is lost which implies that the flash somehow didn't get programmed.

I can't seem to find what the issue is...i was wondering if I am missing setting up the on-board SPI flash via a .UCF file?

...but i can't find any information on how to do that.

I however suspect that this might not be the issue as  iMPACT doesn't throw any errors when programming the device (.bit and .mcs files)

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what might be wrong here  please?

Thank a lot for all your help.

Kindest regards

Parvy

Hi @jpeyron

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think i have the jumpers set correctly:

I want to use the on board STMicro M25P16 SPI flash

The attached screen shot shows that the system only detects the platform flash (xcf04s)

I am not sure why the SPI flash isn't selected (as it doesn't appear in the initialised chain ...see screen shot)

The jumper setting i have are as follows:

The mode pins are:

M2:M1:M10 = 0:0:1  (J26 jumper inserted in M1 and M2 only, so these are pulled low)

PROG_B J16 jumper removed

PROG_B J46 Platform Flash Enable jumper removed (disabled)

SPI FLASH PROM jumper J1 is shown in the attached screenshot

Is there something possibly else that is missing?

Thanks

Parvy

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

spartan 3an.JPG

Hi @parvy,

The jumper settings look correct to me, so I'm not certain what the issue might be. The only thing that I can think of at the moment to try would be to switch J1 to the top half of the pins rather than the bottom half. The reasoning for this is that only one SPI flash can be used at a time (based on page 91 of the user guide) and looking at the schematics which I finally found available here https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/s3astarter_schematic.pdf, they show on page 13 both jumpers loaded horizontally for STMicro, which doesn't match the user guide, so it's worth trying.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin

Thank you so much for your information. 

I tried your suggestions but unfortunately with no luck...still cannot program the SPI flash.

I did however go on to the Xilinx forum and this what someone posted regarding the issue:

====================================================================================================

14.7 impact programming tool doesn't support direct flash programming, this is the reason you cannot add the m25p16 directly.

In case you are looking direct programming of the flash then you need to use the older impact tools 11.x or earlier

The steps are mentioned in the guide

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug334.pdf

here is the download link for 11.1 programmer

https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/xef.html?filename=Xilinx_11.1_Pgm_Tools_SFD.tar

Also note spartan-3an has internal flash which you can also use for configuring the fpga

mode pins must be set to 011 as mentioned in ug334. Also you can directly program the .bit file to the internal flash(ISF)

====================================================================================================

I was just wondering id anyone at Digilent was aware of this ?

Thanks a lot

Kindest regards

Parvy

Hi @parvy,

No, I don't think anyone at Digilent was aware of this since (I believe; I wasn't at Digilent at the time) we developed this board (Spartan 3A/3AN) for Xilinx, but from my understanding did not sell it ourselves. We also do not have the ability to update the source for the user guide as that was also created by Xilinx, but I'll be sure to direct future users to this bit of information as well.

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived