Digilent MicroSD memory card for Digilent PYNQ-Z1

VS1

today I received a MicroSD memory card (8GB) from Digilent 

(https://store.digilentinc.com/pynq-version-8gb-microsd-card-with-adapter/)

sent separately after the PYNQ-Z1 board had already arrived.

I need the manufacturer/brand name and type to download the Windows 10 drivers for that card (better  a weblink with those drivers). When I insert the card in its adapter and plug it in in my Windows Laptop, nothing happens. With those drivers I should be able to verify first whether that memory board is empty. If so I can burn the necessary image.

Your prompt response is highly appreciated. Thanks.

(that the DONE LED does not light up in the procedure described below is an indication that the bitstream could not be loaded)

--

(BEFORE:)

Hi,

the memory card just arrived, but see below how far the PYNQ-Z1 board with the memory (Micro SD) card inserted in it comes.

Is the memory card you just sent me empty, ie, do I need to download the PYNQ-Z1 v2.1 image and burn it myself ?, I thought the memory card from DIgilent would come ready ...

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

PS
(cf also attached board layout)

SETUP: JP4 to SD, JP5 to USB, Micro SD card inserted, (J14) USB cable-connected to Windows 10 Laptop, (J13) Ethernet cable connected to Xfinity/comcast gateway where also Laptop is connected

Following the link below, when I turn on the board, the RED LED12 comes on immediately. Then LEDs LD8 and LD9 flash and stay flashing "forever". LED LD12 does not light up.... (in chrome browser:
http://pynq:9090/ -> This site can't be reached)

Turning On the PYNQ-Z1

As indicated in step 6 of Board Setup, slide the power switch to the ON position to turn on the board. The Red LD13 LED will come on immediately to confirm that the board has power. After a few seconds, the Yellow/Green LD12 / Done LED will light up to show that the Zynq® device is operational.

After a minute you should see two Blue LD4 & LD5 LEDs and four Yellow/Green LD0-LD3 LEDs flash simultaneously. The Blue LD4-LD5 LEDs will then turn on and off while the Yellow/Green LD0-LD3 LEDs remain on. The system is now booted and ready for use.

pynqz1.jpg

Update: 

I found myself the following information about the memory card (please correct if necessary):

• 8GB SDHC V2.0-compliant MicroSD card + MicroSD-to-SD adapter
  • Formatted w/ FAT32 file system

(Unless the board and/or memory card are defective - in which I case I will ask sales to replace them ...)
I have ordered an USB multi-format memory card reader/writer, which should help verify whether that memory card is empty
(unless you can share with me a different method, ie where to download Windows 10 drivers for my built-in memory reader (Toshiba Satellite C55-A5281) ). Since I still have to wait a few days for delivery, I wonder whether you can provide me with weblinks/PDFSs ... that describe how to test/exercise the PYNQ-Z1 board over the USB connection (only without Ethernet for the moment) to the Windows 10 laptop using Xilinx Vivado/WebPack. Is there a Digilent utilityy for the PYNQ-Z1 board like Digilent Adept 2 for other boards which one can use to download bitstreams to test the board ? Thanks.

Hi @VS1,

For future reference, all of the dedicated support for the PYNQ-Z1 is available on the PYNQ-Z1 support page here: http://www.pynq.io/support.html, rather than here on the Digilent Forum, so I will be of limited help here.

In terms of getting Windows 10 to recognize the SD Card, you will likely need to update the drivers for your specific laptop which will be available on Toshiba's website.

You are able to use Digilent's Adept 2 to connect to and load bitstreams (either premade for the PYNQ-Z1 or created in Xilinx's Vivado software) to the PYNQ-Z1; Digilent does not have any such bitstreams already available.

I do not know which particular image is loaded on to the Digilent provided SD Cards, but as per the getting started with PYNQ-Z1 video from the getting started guide that was created back in December of 2016, it states in the video that if there is an issue with the SD Card, you may need to re-image the SD Card by following this guide here: http://pynq.readthedocs.io/en/latest/appendix.html#writing-the-sd-card. It appears that the latest PYNQ-Z1 v2.1 image as of Feb 21, 2018 is available for download here: http://pynq.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started.html#microsd-card-setup.

I'm not certain on why the two Ethernet lights are flashing continually, presuming that all of the jumpers are set up correctly as you indicated in your first post; the folks over on the pynq.io website would be better able to assist you in this.

Thanks,
JColvin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @VS1,

I wanted to let you know that I have ordered a PYNQ-Z1 and a separately ordered microSD card with the PYNQ-Z1 image so that I can attempt to replicate your described experience in the email chain. It will be a few days until I receive them so that I can test the initial setup though.

Thanks,
JColvin

I already solved it, see below:

(this even with a second memory board which supposedly had a pre-loaded image, but initially did not work either)

VS1

May 29 (1 day ago)

to pynq

despite the fact that the board was already on a powered USB switch (cf attachments), power was not enough. After I powered the board with a dual port USB charger, the board with inserted memory card appears to be working now (so far). I gained access to the Jupyter home area, can ping and TeraTerm-connect with the board as well as have board file access from Windows 10 Explorer.

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 2:12:20 AM UTC-7, VS1 wrote:

Inserted the memory card (supposedly with pre-loaded image, it was sent separately) in the PYNQ-Z1 board and turning on the board, the board does NOT work,

SETUP: JP4 to SD, JP5 to USB, Micro SD card inserted, (J14) USB cable-connected to Windows 10 Laptop, (J13) Ethernet cable connected to Xfinity/comcast gateway where also Laptop is connected

Following the link below, when I turn on the board, the RED LED12 comes on immediately and stays on. Then LEDs LD8 and LD9 flash and the LED LD12 DONE does light up. 

Both the LD8-LD9 pair and LD12 go off and later light up again. That cycle repeats forever. 

.... (in chrome browser:

http://pynq:9090/ -> This site can't be reached)

LD0 to LD5 remain off all the time

ie the board does not work, maybe it is the PYNQ-Z1 itself. In that case, I will have sales replace board + memory card after they test both before shipping. What would you advice? Thank you very much.

http://pynq.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started.html

Turning On the PYNQ-Z1

As indicated in step 6 of Board Setup, slide the power switch to the ON position to turn on the board. The Red LD13 LED will come on immediately to confirm that the board has power. After a few seconds, the Yellow/Green LD12 / Done LED will light up to show that the Zynq® device is operational.

After a minute you should see two Blue LD4 & LD5 LEDs and four Yellow/Green LD0-LD3 LEDs flash simultaneously. The Blue LD4-LD5 LEDs will then turn on and off while the Yellow/Green LD0-LD3 LEDs remain on. The system is now booted and ready for use.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pynq" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pynq_project+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pynq_project/f1378381-7aad-40ef-83e9-75a31245d80d%40googlegroups.com.5 Attachments

Board file access.JPG

ping and TeraTerm.JPG

Jupyter home area.JPG

Dual Port USB Charger.jpg

powered USB switch.jpg

Archived