Dangerous Switches On Mde-8051 Trainer (usb) Rev B

William French

Question

I am a professor at NHTI, Concord's Community College in Concord NH. I have just rewritten my Embedded Microprocessor course to incorporate Mazidi's "The 8051 Microcontroller, a system's approach" text book. On the recommendation of a professor at another school, I have purchased twenty-two Digilent MDE-8051 Trainers(USB) Rev b.

I have had to prohibit my students from using the red  8 bit slide switches on this board as the switches connect directly to 5 Volts. without any resistance. If a user has a switch connected to a IO Port and set to "ON" and then sends a zero to that port, the output transistor for the port is destroyed. It is clearly stated in Mazidi's text on Pages 599 and 600 under the heading "AVOID DAMAGING THE PORT" that with this IC, you must never connect an output port directly to 5 volts. Yet, this is what the MDE 8051 trainer does through the red switches. 

In my opion this is a SERIOUS, unacceptable defect in the MDE-8051 trainer. We have always taught our students that to connect a switch to a microrocessor input port, you may switch it directly to ground, (when the switch is "ON" ) and when the switch is open, approx 20K pull-up resistors should pull the port to a logic 1. The only possible reason that I can think of for having the MDE 8051 trainer to switch directly to Vcc without any resistance is to get a "one" when the switch is 'ON". This is not necessary and every engineerng student that I have known realizes that you switch an input directly to ground and pull it up with resistance.  

This is making me seriously think about abandoning the MDE-8051 as a trainer and either design our own boards with proper switches or find another vendor. Is anyone else concerned about blowing up DS89C450 chips at $25 per "POP"?

Professor William L. French

wfrench@ccsnh.edu

4 answers to this question

Perhaps it was more important to the person who specified or designed this trainer to have a switch where "ON" was a high level if that's the only way that they teach. I humbly request that the next time there is a revision to this board, that there  be a way for the user to cut the common connection between the switch and the +5 Volt supply and put in a jumper that ties the common of the switch to ground. There is currently a resistor SIP that pulls the switch lines to ground when the switch is open. This would need to be removed or destroyed. Then this trainer can be used as it is currently designed or with inverted  and safe logic on the red switch pack.

It is not necessary to have pull-up resistors to +5V if the switch common was grounded. This is already inside the DS89C450 IC for ports P1, P2 and P3 and is available for P0 by having the JMPR1 shorting clip installed on the MDE 8051 trainer.

The best solution of all would be to have a jumper cap like JMPR1 that made the connection to +5V for anyone who wants it that way and a jumper that disconnects the current switch pack from ground..

If there is any interest in providing this solution at Digilent, please contact  me at wfrench@ccsnh.edu and I would be pleased to provide any details that might be lacking in this message.

My other concern is about the fact that the 8 LED array seems to be very bright. THis makes me (and my students) ask are these LEDs being driven above their rated current and likely to burn out?

I really do not want to incur the time and expense of redesigning and producing a version of this board for our school. If I did, it would also incorporate a LCD connection and 4 PNP transistors to drive a stepper motor or DC motor.

Sincerely,

William L. French

Professor Electronic Engineering Technology / Computer Engineering Technology

NHTI, Concord's Community College

Concord, NH

We have solved the problems of having the red switches connect to raw +5 Volts.

By making one trace cut on the top side, breaking out the resistor SIP that pulls down to ground, and by soldering in a 3/16" 'S' piece of bare wire on the bottom. our red switches now switch down to hard ground and are pulled up to +5 volts through the pull-up resistors of Ports P0, P1, P2 and P3. If you were to connect one of our modified red switches directly to a LED, it does not work (no pull-up), but connecting the switches to a IO port works fine. Anyone who needs detail can contact me at wfrench@ccsnh.edu.

Sincerely,

William L. French

Professor Electronic Engineering Technology / Computer Engineering Technology

NHTI, Concord's Community College

Concord, NH

Archived