Arduino IDE vs MPIDE, chipkit-core

Flyline

Question

I recently successfully completed a web server application for the chipKIT WF32 using the Digilent IP stack with the Arduino IDE. I wanted to see how difficult it would be to port the same web server application to the chipKIT PRO MX7 processor board.  There appeared to be only a one or two lines of code that had to be commented out to make the conversion. The The Adruino IDE reported "No target found".  So I backed off to the simple "ChipKIT_Blink" sketch and had the same result - "No target found".  I reverted to the MPIDE environment using the same hardware and the sketch loaded and ran correctly. So I'm thinking the problem is with the Arduino IDE or the chipKIT core library. 

I am using Arduino rev 1.6.5  and chipkit-core-windows.16778041.v1.0.0-21-glc4b889.zip. Keith recommended removing R159 (no easy task for an older person and glued down R402 resistors.)  Has anyone had any success programming the chipKIT PRO MX7 using the Arduino IDE? 

10 answers to this question

Hi James

Yes, I have invested considerable time developing a HTTP server around the Arduino chipKIT Core.  (In fact, I'm working on it right now.)  I had a build working when Keith sent me into a spin with a new core build last weekend.  The new SD file system is all different and I use that heavily. I hope to have a completed "up to date project this week. I want this project to work on the WiFIre, the WF32 and the chipKIT PRO.  The problem with the old core is that it wouldn't program the chipKIT PRO. I'll keep you posted.

Richard

James,

I finished the Hen House project using a Core build that hasn't been released yet.  For once I am ahead of the tools. I have been working with Keith and he may know when the Core build will be released.  Now it is on to the WiFire. I may stop by tomorrow and give you a demo.

Richard

Arduino: v1.68 , , HW: ChipKit Pro MX7 (new purchased)

Following the "Auto Install via URL inside the Arduino IDE" (http://chipkit.net/wiki/index.php?title=ChipKIT_core) to install the ChipKit Core kit for the Arduino IDE.

Running the "Blink" sketch.

Error: "No Target Found" (Programmer for Microchip PIC32 microcontrollers, Version 2.0.186
No target found.  Copyright: (C) 2011-2015 Serge Vakulenko)

Can you advise if my wiring from PC to MX7 is correct?

I use USB to MicroUSB cable to the Port on the MX7 labeled as "UART". J3 has UART pin shorted. After pwr on the sw,  PC Device Manager see the port as "COM26". Arduino Board pointed to "MX7", Port pointed to "COM26".  No other cable is connected to the MX7.

Basically I run into the same error as "Flyline" had 3 months ago, except that I am using newer Arduino version.

Thanks in advnce.

I have successfully tested the attached sketch on a chipKIT PRO MX7 using Arduino 1.6.8 and the PIC core release 1.1.0 (See http://chipkit.net/chipkit-core-is-released-for-use-in-arduino-ide/). I have modified the attached Blink sketch to test the mapping of the board LEDs and test the serial port.

Yes, you are using the correct serial port.  

1. Make sure that you ave programmed the chipKIT PRO MX7 with the "chipKIT_Bootloader_MX7ck" using MPLAB X. The boot loader is available on the Digilent web site. I have also attached the hex file below. To program the bootloader with MPLAB X, you will need to attach the PC to the DEBUG USB port.  After programming the bootloader, you will no longer need to be attached to the DEBUG USB port.

2. Make sure you have JP11 shorted and R159 removed (See pdf file below).

3. Before attempting to load a sketch, hold BTN1 down while pressing the reset button. If the chipKIT Pro MX7 is reset and ready to download a file, LED1 on the processor board will flash about 4 times per second.

4. This sketch sets the UART for 38.4KB - Make sure you set the serial monitor for 38400.

Blink.ino

chipKIT R159.pdf

chipKIT_Bootloader_MX7ck.zip

Hi Flyline:

Thanks a lot for your replying, I was going to try it out immediately until I read to your step 2.

I got this new purchased board, all things arrived as default. Therefore:

Q1: How do you learn about the R159 needed to be removed?  BTW, your attached PDF file was very helpful and thoughtful.  Without that, it would take me only a night to find where is the R159.  R159 is a soldered in resistor, done byt the factory. It is very tiny, I have no problem to remove it except chances are I will also remove the components around it.  That will ended up another troubleshooting for new subject. What is R159 for?

Q2: Why would the board not come with bootloader pre-loaded ?  I assumed that after I open the chipkit shipping pkg, I can immediately upload my blink sketch (with the minor adjustment of Digital Pin params) with Arduino IDE (w/ ChipKit board downladed in it).  So my assumption was very wrong ...

Sincerely

Hi MT,

I can't answer the question for R159, but the board does come programmed with the bootloader for MPIDE or the Arduino IDE. However, if you have used the board with MPLAB (as Flyline has), MPLAB erases the bootloader present on the board, so you need to reload the bootloader if you want to use MPIDE or the Arduino IDE again.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JC

Thanks for taking time to help out.

It was a new board and

I am only using Arduino IDE1.68 for MX7. So I assumed the bootloader is still in it.

Do you know any document that might have document R159? I am still wondering why it has to be removed.

Good Day, 

This is a newly discovered issue and is currently being addressed at Digilent. I became aware of the problem about 6 months ago when I was working with MPIDE. As to how I became aware of the solution, I have a close working relationship with an engineer at Digilent and he advised me to remove R159 as well as using the most recent core build.  I and others at Digilent were unaware the issue persisted with switching to Arduino IDE. I have been told that the problem is that the new PIC32Prog (used in the Arduino IDE for chipKIT) and some MAC FTDI drivers pull RTS low as well as DTR. If R159 is loaded, and RTS goes low, RTS will hold the MCU in reset and you can not program. "  Note that this only an issues if R159 is loaded on the circuit board.  

NOTE: This is not an issue with the depreciated Cerabot 32MX7 since there is no FTDI on the circuit board.

Thank you Flyline.

I am kind of disappointed to learn that my latest investment , the MX7 chipkit, requires me to remove a tiny resistor in order for it to work with Arduino IDE.  

Thanks a lot for your knowledge sharing.

Archived