Cmod S6 programming on Win7 machine

Dave1972

Question

I purchased a Cmod S6 FPGA unit to use for a senior design project.  I need instructions and documentation on how to do this.  I have come up empty in my web searches.  These are my questions.

1) I need to put the program the flash.  The iMPACT tool is said to be needed.  Are there instructions or help on how this is done?

2) I have a windows 7 OS machine I can install ISE Web Pack if needed (and the big IF is whether the drivers will work in the OS)  Will this work now?  I had problems in the past doing this.

3) I have Xilinx WebPack 14.4 installed on a 64 bit Linux machine.  In the project build process, I selected (Spartan 6), and (XC6SLX4).  In selecting the build there was no (2CPG196) to select in the drop down menu.  There was an option for (CPG196).  Is this the same?  Do I need some files to add to my "Data" directory so (2CPG196) shows up?  How do overcome this?

4) Adept 2 software is said to be needed.  Will this install on Win 7 OS without driver issues?  I had problems in the past.

5) I down loaded the master UCF file and saw that the I/O pins are assigned to 6 different multiple bit ports.  I cannot tell how the port bits (i.e. "P5", "N5", etc.) correspond to the physical pin numbers.  How do I overcome this to assign the signals in the UCF file?  Also, it looked like there were DEPP signals that had to be set somehow to define the I/O pins as input or output.  How is this done?

6) I have experience programming the Nexsys2 board using Verilog. I have been loading the "BIT" files with the command line "djtgcfg" tool. I intend to continue using Verilog since it is fresh in my mind.  I haven't used VHDL in a couple of years.

7) I did not anticipate having to program learning different tools

Please help ASAP.

Thanks.  Dave

2 answers to this question

Hi Dave,

I'm not an FPGA expert, but can answer some of the questions that you have (I'll ask one of our applications engineers about the questions I don't know the answer to)

1) You can program the flash on the Cmod S6 as outlined in another forum post we have here

2) ISE WebPACK is compatible with Windows 7

4) Adept 2 can install successfully on Windows 7 (or at least it is here on my computer I'm using). I don't believe it is strictly necessary for working with the Cmod S6, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

5) Yes, within the UCF file the port bits are corresponding to different pins on the FPGA. You can see where things like "N5" or PORTA<1> as you see it written are mapped to a specific physical pin by checking out this handy diagram in our reference manual here.

One of our applications engineers will get back to you here on the forum for the other questions, though it may take some time as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches pretty soon.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived