MPIDE with QHD monitor

ltheoret

Hi, I just got my ChipKit WF32.

Installed MPIDE and found that on a high density monitor with the pixels so high the human eye can't see. well the problem is I cant the message in the bottom black area. the text is so small. I was able to et the font to 24 pitch to see my code. so I brought my code to UEIDE and was able to read the tiny error code. so I installed Adruino for Visual Studio only to find that it uses MPIDE (which is good) but there is no something file for my particular PIC32 chip. so back to MPIDE. my desktop is set to zoom about 150. the majority of the software support this desktop zoom but not MPIDE or UEIDE. were would I go to make this recommendation to the people at MPIDE? 

Hi Itheoret,

The place to go to make that recommendation will likely be chipkit.net/forum/ although from what I understand, there is going to be some movement away from MPIDE specifically (at least according to their wiki here) so we'll see how that all plays out.

In the meantime, you are actually able change the text size in the little black console at the bottom of MPIDE (so I don't have to lean in to read it), the setting is hiding in a different file though. For me, its in the ../main_mpide_folder/lib/theme/theme.txt around line 24 in the "console.font" line underneath # GUI - CONSOLE. Naturally, you'll have to restart MPIDE to see the changes if you have it open, but such is life.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you. I was able to change all the font size so I can now read everything.

On the second part of your replay you mentioned that they may be switching to Adruino. so I downloaded and installed all that. I found my board the ChipKit WF32 no problem. when I try to compile the Blink example in Arduino, I get a compile error, but further up the compile output it cannot find the OneWire library. I will look into this later.

My PMIDE works well thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

JColvin, your answer to ltheoret concerning MPIDE link " (at least according to their wiki here)" I tried to go there to read. Nowhere on that page can I find the word MPIDE, Is that to correct link?

Can you comment on this for I am quite new with my ChipKit pro MX7 board and just starting to learn how to program it. I'd like to know if I am going to invest some valuable time to learn an IDE might as well be one that is there to stay. Hence, I want to make sure I am not loosing my time with MPIDE if it is going to phase out eventually I will switch immediately to another IDE. What's your say on this? Should I switch now?

Furthermore, Is there a good complete and precise source of training on how to use MPIDE. Other then how to install it, I cant find any more information. For instance, I am trying to find out exactly what the Tools/ Serial Monitor is and how to use it. Any information on that?

thanks for your time

Jim

Hi Jim,

MPIDE is an IDE developed by the chipKIT community, so that was the chipKIT page talking about the "chipKIT Core" that is being developed. You can find download links (as you likely already know) for MPIDE from chipKIT's page here

I would personally stay with MPIDE for now since it is fairly stable as far as I am aware, and as far as I have used my microcontroller board. I personally even use a much older 2013 edition since it is able to accomplish a lot of what I try to achieve (which admittedly isn't very intensive in terms of resource usage or super high-tech, but there is a lot of code involved). In terms of finding out where things are and getting started with MPIDE, you can check out chipKIT's guide that shows where all of the tools are here as well as some tutorials made by Digilent on getting started with MPIDE on our Learn site inside of the "Getting Started with Microcontrollers" section.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived