Problems with "After the Out of Box Demo"

sam60

Question

I have my Zybo and am just getting started.  I've run the Zynq Book tutorials and am just beginning to get the hang of this Zynq SoC, at least for the basics.  I do have some problems following the "After the Out of Box Demo"

https://reference.digilentinc.com/zybo:gsg

I follow the very detailed instructions and successfully build the hardware in Vivado and the software in the SDK. I program the FPGA and run the software using "Run As".  I don't see what is expected though :-

1/ The LEDs don't light when I press a button.  The hardware/software does react when I press a button, I can see the Rx LED close to the JTAG USB connector flash.  LED[0-3] though don't echo BTN[0-3].  My LEDs work ok in the Zynq Book tutorials.

2/ I don't see any text output. Where is the text output supposed to be visible.  I'd expect it to go down the other channel (than JTAG) in the FT2232H and somewhere appear in the SDK?  Or do I have to connect a separate terminal.  If so is it to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1, I see both created when the Zybo is plugged in and switched on.

3 answers to this question

I've checked the GPIO ports in the hardware match up with their use in the software and can't see any problem.
I've noticed that LED[0-3] echo SW[0-3] rather than the buttons.  When I move the switches though there's no activity on the UART Rx LED.

I've read the code again and realised this is the expected behaviour :-), i.e LEDs echo switches and serial output is triggered by pressing buttons.

So there's only one part to my problem, where do I see the serial output?

Well I've now found my serial output using Cutecom on /dev/ttyUSB1 settings 115200,n,8,1.  Needed to add myself to the 'dialout' group in order to get permissions.

Don't know how to get it in the Xilinx SDK IDE. There is a console begging for STDIO to be connected to it but had nothing but trouble with that.

Ignore the console, use SDK Terminal instead. As with Cutecom /dev/ttyUSB1, 11520,n,8,1

Well I've answered my own questions.  Wished I'd worked this through before posting and inflicting my noise on the world.  Can only hope it's of some help to others.

Archived