FPGA with 100 MHz digital output bandwidth

michaeljoseph

Question

Hello,

I need to generate pulse trains with toggle frequencies of at least 100 MHz. I'm looking for an FPGA with output ports with at least 100 MHz of bandwidth. 

From what I understand, the PMOD connectors are limited to 24 MHz, see the first page of https://www.digilentinc.com/Pmods/Digilent-Pmod_ Interface_Specification.pdf. But due to my limited knowledge, I have been having trouble finding bandwidth limits of other common connectors (ex: FMC). 

Ultimately, I need to connect the FPGA with other components via BNC (or equivalent, ex: SMA) cables. So ideally I want an FPGA with output connectors that have a breakout cable or terminal block option. 

Thank you for your help,

Michael

3 answers to this question

Hello Micheal,

As you read in the Pmod specifications.  The max supported speed is 24MHz and we haven't tested above that point.  On most of our FPGA boards the Pmod headers are protected with a diode and a serial resistor.The couple exceptions are Pmod headers JB, JC and JD on the ZYBO and JB and JC on the Nexys video.  So you should be able to get a 100MHz signal out of those Pmod headers.  Then Terminal headers on the PmodCON1 would make attaching the cables easy.

The other option that would work but cost quite a bit more.  Use the the SMA connectors on the FMC-CE add-on board with any of our FPGAs with the FMC connector.  Nexys video, Genesys2 or zedboard are our latest series-7 boards with FMC connectors.

These are two setups that you can consider.

1. ZYBO or Nexys video with a PmodCON1 - cheap and probably will work

2. FPGA with an FMC connector and FMC-CE add-on board - much more expensive but will definitely work.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Marshall

Hello Micheal,

As you read in the Pmod specifications.  The max supported speed is 24MHz and we haven't tested above that point.  On most of our FPGA boards the Pmod headers are protected with a diode and a serial resistor.The couple exceptions are Pmod headers JB, JC and JD on the ZYBO and JB and JC on the Nexys video.  So you should be able to get a 100MHz signal out of those Pmod headers.  Then Terminal headers on the PmodCON1 would make attaching the cables easy.

The other option that would work but cost quite a bit more.  Use the the SMA connectors on the FMC-CE add-on board with any of our FPGAs with the FMC connector.  Nexys video, Genesys2 or zedboard are our latest series-7 boards with FMC connectors.

These are two setups that you can consider.

1. ZYBO or Nexys video with a PmodCON1 - cheap and probably will work

2. FPGA with an FMC connector and FMC-CE add-on board - much more expensive but will definitely work.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Marshall

Thanks for your help!

I noticed that the Arty Atrix-7 also has high speed PMODs (JB, JC), http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1487&Prod=ARTY.

Would these be equivalent to the PMODs that you mentioned on the ZYBO and Nexys video?

If so I might try the Arty Atrix-7 with the PmodCON1. 

Archived