ARTY DDR3 Microblaze Project

DoogieTech

Question

When will the Microblaze Base System Design Tutorial be updated? I've tried following the one for the NEXYS4 board but the MIG for the DDR3 on the ARTY is not quite the same as the one for the NEXYS4. There is an extra reference clock on the MIG block and the the resets pins are routed to the processor reset block instead of the MIG reset block.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I got by both problems. I didn't know if I needed to but, I uninstalled Vivado 2015.3 and the SDK that came with it. I then installed Vivado 2015.4 which, of course, installed its own SDK. After that I was able to go through the Echo_Server example without any tool or hardware related hitch.

The reason for SDK hang up is still unclear. However, I have the notion that it might have something to do with my firewall. While Vivado and SDK ran, Java run-time halted a few times, asking permission to get through firewall checks. I also noticed that Avast (my anti-virus) scanned and cleared a number of .exe files, notably gcc- and cc1. I'm therefore guessing that Vivado 2015.3 did not present Java and other underlying tools correctly to Windows 7 and Avast.

Vivado 2015.4 raised too many issues with the hardware that I had configured with Vivado 2015.3. I understood and modified some of the structures. In the end however, I chose to flush the configurations for Hello World and Echo Server and begin from scratch.

I hope this report helps the next make person that encounters similar problems.

Thanks to Patrick and Tom!

Arty:  The Arty reference page has two Wiki links to microblaze based system. The 1st is for a simple Hello World. It is simply too incomplete for a Vivado beginner. Following the directions, twice I wound up with the same xconcat component that I did not know where to connect its two input terminals. Please share a link to a complete Hello World build guidance, if you have it.

Building the 2nd microblaze system for an echo_server application, I got stuck in SDK that came with Vivado 2015.3. I succeeded in exporting the .hdf and .bit files to SDK but, when told to create the "echo_server" from template, SDK hung. I found multiple sessions of cc1.exe running in my task manager. I could not kill them without resetting my Windows 7 PC. Again, please send me mail thru' BoltLatch@hotmail.com if you have any ideas to help me out of this hang-up.

Thanks

Hello,

I stumbled on the same error as well. I am using Vivado 2015.4 on Windows 10

There is a step missing between 4.8 & 5.0, so I will call it step 4.9:

-Double click on Concat (microblaze_0_xlconcat)  and make it a single port device

- Connect AXI Uartlite Interrupt line  to  Concat IN

Then at step 6 Validate Design should end up with success

And then , you are 40 minutes away to get an Hello... :-)

I have not tested the echo server yet, I'll get an update.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input, I changed the guide a bit so that xconcat is no longer created, as it is not needed. As for the echo_server template causing SDK to freeze, I am not really sure what might be happening there. That would be a good thing to ask the Xilinx forums. Sorry I cannot help more.

Thanks

Tommy

Archived