Arty Power supply

nickh

Question

The Arty user's manual says "An external power supply can be used by plugging into Power Jack J12 and installing a jumper in the “REG” position on Header J13. The supply must use a coaxial, center-positive 2.1mm (or 2.5mm) internal-diameter plug, and provide a voltage of 7 to 15 Volts DC. The supply should provide a minimum current of 1 amp. Ideally, the supply should be capable of providing 36 Watts of power (12 Volts DC, 3 amps). A suitable external power supply can be purchased from Digilent. "

Where is the "suitable external power supply"?  A search of the Digilent site does not show one.  The above text does not give a part number. (The text should be amended to include part number).

Second question: the center-positive 2.1mm connector allows perfect fit for the 5V power supply that Digilent has used on many other Xilinx kits (Spartan 3x Starter among others), yet 5V does not work.  Why was the 2.1mm connector selected when it is normally 5V?  Was testing done to insure that when a 2.1mm 5V power supply is connected there is no damage to the circuit as it is out of range but easily connected.

More Questions or more detail on the second: Why was Arty designed so that it could not use the available 2.1mm 5V supplies which are very common (I have a least a half dozen and have given at least that many more away) and instead a 7 to 15V 2.1mm supply which I am finding to be uncommon?   Why the higher voltage at all?

Thank You

Nick H

1 answer to this question

Hi Nick,

You are correct, there is no "suitable power supply" available on the Digilent website; I have updated the reference manual to reflect this. I think there may at one point been such a power supply available, but clearly that is not the case anymore. I apologize for the confusion.

As an intern, I do not know the answer to the second question. I am working on finding out an answer for you though and will get back to you here on the forum.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived