Low latency H.264 encoding

Vavooon

Question

Hi. I want to make a device which will receive HDMI stream, encode it into H.264 and stream over Ethernet. Current devices make 200-300ms latency, but FPGA implementations create sub-ms latency.

Will Zybo Zynq™-7000 Development Board be suitable for my needs? I need HDMI input.

AFAIK there are IP blocks which do the encoding, but i have no idea how i can otbain them. Is it possible for individual developer, or it would be better to make my own implementation?

2 answers to this question

Yes, an FPGA should be able to create a device that can capture an HDMI signal and encode it but a hefty amount of latency could be generated by streaming over a network.  Depending on how efficient the network, timing of the FPGA network interface, and the amount of time you sink into the project, you may or may not see a significant difference between current devices and an FPGA.

The ZYBO, Nexys Video and the Genesis 2 can all provide a great hardware platform to accomplish what you are trying to do but there is not an existing project that accomplishes what you are trying to do.  

Best of Luck,

Marshall

Archived