Basys2

serge1973

Question

I have a Basys2 board that I would like to use for my class. Some of the documentation suggest that I need to download Adept in order to program the board. I have the following questions:

Can anyone tell me how to install the Adept runtime and utilities on Ubuntu?

Does Adept synthesize vhdl code? I've been using Vivado from Xilinx to simulate my code but for some reason I can't synthesize my code and I was wondering if Adept software allows me to do that?

I help appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hello,

Adept does not performance anything about the synthesize vhdl codes and it supports to download the file.bit and execute it on FPGA board.

If your codes do not synthesize, please check them again and not from Adept.

I never heard about the Adept runtime. Please share it if you know.

Serge1983,

Jonathon in correct. Adept will not synthesize your code, but it will only download the bit file to the board. 

The problems you are facing with synthesizing your code is likely because Vivado does not work with the Basys 2. You will need to use Xilinx ISE to Synthesize and implement your code for the Basys 2. You can simulate the code on Vivado because this is not reliant on which FPGA chip you are using. However, you can also simulate your code in ISE so you do not need Vivado. 

As far as using adept on Linux I would recommend you check out this post.

Hope this helps!

Kaitlyn 

Installed ISE Design Suite 14.4 Ver and it worked fine for Basys2.

More the synthesize of codes, is it creating the errors after synthesized codes?. If so, it might be the ISE (Integrated System Environment Software).

Another possible situation, is it creating any warning after synthesized codes?. If so, it could be your source codes.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Tran

Archived