Issue with Zybo not being recognized by Hardware Manager in Vivado 2015.3 Design Edition

Gazi

Question

Hello there,

Board: ZYBO
IDE: Vivado 2015.3 Design Edition
Host ID: Gazi-Laptop

The Hardware Manager detected the PS and PL once but then the OS crashed and I had to reboot. After that, I get this error message trying to connect to the device: 

ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-26] No hardware targets exist on the server [localhost]
Check to make sure the cable targets connected to this machine are properly connected
and powered up, then use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server commands
to re-register the hardware targets.

I ran the hw_server manually as administrator, ran Vivado 2015.3 IDE as administrator and went to the Hardware manager. In TCL window, I type: 

connect_hw_server -url Gazi-Laptop:3121 and hit enter and I get the same message. I have tried two different USB cables (one from Digilent) and Different USB ports. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled Vivado 2015.3 Design Edition along with Cable Drivers. I have tried manually reinstalling the cable drivers as mentioned on Xilinx. However, I cannot communicate with the device except for that one time after which my system crashed. JP5 is set to JTAG. 

Any help is appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Hi Gazi,

I'm so sorry you've hit so many obstacles!

According to what you listed you tried, it should work. I'm going to list all of the trouble shooting steps I would take anyways just in case something is slightly different. Sometimes the smallest thing can make a difference. 

Using the correct cable:

Many USB cables only work for power, make sure you are using an actually programming cable

Re-installing Cable drivers:

I found 3 different solutions for this on the Xilinx website. 
Xilinx Cable Drivers

Digilent Cable Drivers

All Cable Drivers

re-installing the hardware server

Since your OS crashed, you may be having an issue with the general USB drivers. Do other USB devices work?

As long as your installation of Vivado can create the bit file for the ZYBO, you may consider trying Digilent Adept to program the bit file, if you cannot get Vivado to recognize the board. 

Another thing I would like to mention is that in my time working in the lab, I have seen a few issues with Vivado and Windows 10

Let me know if you find something that works.

Kaitlyn

I had a similar problem and I noticed that there was a warning in the Device Manager for the USB device associated with the Digilent JTAG pod.  The Diglient pod uses an FTDI chip, so it needs valid FTDI drivers.  The ones that I initially had were listed as "not signed" when right clicking on the USB device in Device Manager and selecting "Properties".  Because they were not signed, they did not load, and thus the Digilent pod could not be found by hw_server.exe.

Installing the latest FDTI drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm fixed my problem.  There are app notes for installing the drivers on various operating systems at http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/InstallGuides.htm .  Note that even though they list two different drivers, VCP and D2XX, at least as of today they point to the same zip file.

Hi ! I'm having a problem with my program when I try to run the program in the board (ZYBO 7000). I'm using Vivado 2017.4 .
After running the synshesis, implementation and generatining the bitstream, I just can not connect to the Hardware manager.
I show a printscreen of the Vivado IDE.
image.thumb.png.f583313e559ad0f270177af2b0a66b0d.png

I have tried almost everything I think... Everything failed. 
-I reeinstalled the Vivado;
-Tried to reinstall the drivers following this: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54382.html ;
-Tried to update the FTDI drivers in : http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm ;
-Tried to download the hw_server by choosing the "Vivado 2017.4 Hardware Server for Windows (TAR/GZIP - 191.24 MB)" herehttps://www.xilinx.com/support/download.html
-Tried download the FTDI FT prog and I tried some things. I did not know exactly what was supposed to do there but I tried somethingsimage.png.0913325944defa54f5049b6d9a42b22f.png but nothing worked.

Here is another print of the Device Manager:
image.thumb.png.19a749413b46d05ce7e82da3fa1cca60.png

Can please someone help me? 
I do not know what more to do...

Thank you a lot,
Ricardo

Hi @jpeyron !
Thank you for your reply 

I downloaded the program and I think that the board is not showing ...
I clicked first in the right top, on the "Connect:" and it does not show any device. 
Below is a print showing the program after clicking in "Device Manager".
image.png.df53472a347b1d7ef7574a4bbff22163.png

I also disconnected all the USB devices but it still appear a lot of devices in the Device Manager:

image.thumb.png.9e8015944064b588f06060bb86faf372.png

Thank you so much,
Ricardo

After talking with the Staff in private and take some steps, my problem is finally solved ! The Vivado finally recognizes my board and I could program the device.
I just feel sad that I have not contacted you before... because I lost almost 2 days trying to solve it by myself running into forums and trying everything that at the end did not work. And with the Staff help I just solved this in a few hours.

Thank you so much @jpeyron and @JColvin !
Ricardo

On 3/28/2018 at 1:52 AM, rvmoreira said:

After talking with the Staff in private and take some steps, my problem is finally solved ! The Vivado finally recognizes my board and I could program the device.
 I just feel sad that I have not contacted you before... because I lost almost 2 days trying to solve it by myself running into forums and trying everything that at the end did not work. And with the Staff help I just solved this in a few hours.

Thank you so much @jpeyron and @JColvin !
Ricardo

@rvmoreira

How were you able to solve this? I'm having a very similar problem.

Best,

Derry

Archived