zybo: lading bit file to SPI flash using Vivado

Tarik Loukili

Question

Hi,

Is it possible to load the spi flash with the .bin file from  Vivado, I don't wont to use SDK as I done this before.

Any help wil be appreciated. I can program the FPGA of the Zybo from Vivado but I can seem to find out how to load the .bin file the SPI flash memory.

thanks a lot for any help in advance

Tarik

12 answers to this question

Hi Tarik,

Here is a post that explains how to program the SPI flash on a Basys 3 board from Vivado:

What you'll likely need to change what memory you're searching for; according to ZYBO reference manual in section 4, this is S25FL128S. The reference manual also shows here, that you'll need to adjust a jumper to then boot the board from the SPI flash.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your replay. Unfortunately at this point I need a dummy step by step instructions on how to flash the spi flash memory with the .bin file generated by Vivado.

in the Add Configuration Memory Device window what goes into the 4 fields :

Manufacturer : Spansion ?

Density :  128?

Type : ??

Width : ??

Also In the Program Configuration Memory Device window , what should go into the field Zynq FSBL ??

After Programming, beside shorting  the middle pins of JP5 (QSPI) is there any other jumper that I need to short ??

Tarik

You can find out how to program ZYBO in the reference manual. See below. 

The ZYBO has an onboard 128-Mbit Quad-SPI (QSPI) serial Flash that the Zynq can boot from. The ZYBO Base System Design includes a tutorial for how to configure the QSPI Flash with a Zynq Boot Image using the iMPACT tool included with Xilinx ISE and Vivado. Once the QSPI Flash has been loaded with a Zynq Boot Image, the following steps can be followed to boot from it: 1) Attach a power source to the ZYBO and select it using JP7. 2) Place a single jumper on JP5, shorting the two center pins (labeled “QSPI”). 3) Turn the board on. The board will now boot the image stored in the QSPI flash.

4 SPI Flash The ZYBO features a 4-bit SPI (quad-SPI) serial NOR flash. The Spansion S25FL128S is used on this board. The MultiI/O SPI Flash memory is used to provide non-volatile code and data storage. It can be used to initialize the PS subsystem as well as configure the PL subsystem (bitstream). Spansion provides Spansion Flash File System (FFS) for use after booting the Zynq-7000 AP SoC. The relevant device attributes are:  128Mbit  x1, x2, and x4 support  Speeds up to 104 MHz, supporting Zynq configuration rates @ 100 MHz. In Quad-SPI mode, this translates to 400Mbs  Powered from 3.3V The SPI Flash connects to the Zynq-7000 AP SoC supporting up to Quad-I/O SPI interface. This requires connection to specific pins in MIO Bank 0/500, specifically MIO[1:6,8] as outlined in the Zynq datasheet. Quad-SPI feedback mode is used, thus qspi_sclk_fb_out/MIO[8] is left to freely toggle and is connected only to a 20K pull-up resistor to 3.3V. This allows a QSPI clock frequency greater than FQSPICLK2. 

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for replaying. For a moment I thought that this thread went cold

when you mentioned that The ZYBO Base System Design includes a tutorial for how to configure the QSPI Flash with a Zynq Boot Image using Vivado, What tutorial did you mean?

I downloaded the zybo_base_system.zip and it doesn't contain any tutorial?

as far as the Zybo Reference Manual, paragraph 3.2 which talks about QSPI Boot Mode it doesnt explain how to load the bin file to the flash memory using Vivado.

Did you successfully tried loading the bin file using only Vivado? I know that this feature is doable using Zedboard and ZC702 I m not quite sure now about this Zybo board!

Tarik

Hi Tarik,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Rather than filling out the 4 filters that you were working on, you should instead put the memory type in the search bar underneath the "Selection Configuration Memory Part".  You will want the 3.3V single version that will appear when you put the S25FL128S in the search bar.

ZyboMemorySelection.thumb.JPG.e2955a0afb

After clicking "ok" on this screen you will need to then select the .bin on the "Configuration file:" line and then click "ok" again.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived