Cmod S6 Quad Spi

azn103

Question

I recently got a Cmod S6 and was able to program it just fine.  Now I want to access the Quad SPI

so I can load my program directly from the SPI rather than using the Digilent Adept program.  The

Cmod S6 did not show any references to how to program that part.  How do you program the PROM?

7 answers to this question

The CMOD S6 has a 128Mbit (16MByte) S25FL128S QSPI Flash.

This can be programmed using Xilinx iMpact.

1. Create BIT file using ISE
   - make sure the Generate Programming File/ Properties/ Startup Options/ FPGA Start-Up Clock is CCLK
   - otherwise iMpact will prompt and fix this CCLK option
   - optional: to speed up the boot process increase the "Configuration Rate" and "Set SPI Configuration Bus Width" to 4
2. Create .MCS file
   - start iMpact, (press No then Cancel)
   - Create PROM File, SPI Flash, Configure Single FPGA, ->, 128M(bit), Add Storage Device, ->, browse desired "Output File Location", OK
   - Add Device - OK, locate the earlier ISE generated BIT file, No, OK, Generate File...
3. Flash programming
   - Boundary Scan, Initialize Chain
   - Right click on SPI/BPI above the FPGA symbol, Add SPI/BPI Flash, locate the .mcs file, SPI PROM, S25FL128S, (optional: for faster programming set Data Width 4)
   - Right click FLASH, Program, OK

I have exactly the same problem as above. I can not figure out how to access the CMOD--6 Quad SPI flash memory to load an fpga image to it.  I have searched and found no information other than the spec for the flash chip and a blurb to check the spec for the flash chip.  I do not want to write the drivers or application to do this.. No replies to the above post/request since November leads me to believe that we are blazing new territory.     Is there a compled .exe  applicationn someplace that can upload a file to the serial flash?  Thanks for any response.  -t

On 1/13/2015 at 7:24 AM, attila said:
The CMOD S6 has a 128Mbit (16MByte) S25FL128S QSPI Flash.

This can be programmed using Xilinx iMpact.

1. Create BIT file using ISE
   - make sure the Generate Programming File/ Properties/ Startup Options/ FPGA Start-Up Clock is CCLK
   - otherwise iMpact will prompt and fix this CCLK option
   - optional: to speed up the boot process increase the "Configuration Rate" and "Set SPI Configuration Bus Width" to 4
2. Create .MCS file
   - Create PROM File, SPI Flash, Configure Single FPGA, ->, 128M(bit), Add Storage Device, ->, browse desired "Output File Location", OK
   - Add Device - OK, locate the earlier ISE generated BIT file, No, OK, Generate File...
3. Flash programming
   - Boundary Scan, Initialize Chain
   - Right click on SPI/BPI above the FPGA symbol, Add SPI/BPI Flash, locate the .mcs file, SPI PROM, S25FL128S, (optional: for faster programming set Data Width 4)
   - Right click FLASH, Program, OK

Hello,

I followed the instructions above to program the SPI flash on my CMOD S6. At the end of step 2, I get the "Add Device"  dialog box (see attached image) but as soon as I hit OK, the Impact app quits.
Any suggestions?
I'm running Xilinx ISE Release 14.7 - iMPACT P.20131013 (nt64) on Windows 10 and my CMOD S6 board is plugged in to the USB port and recognized.

Thanks

Capture.PNG

I have installed "Xilinx_ISE_14.7_Win10_14.7_VM_0213_1" on a Windows 11 computer to program existing CMOD6 devices.

Impact cannot access the PROM Flash of CMOD6 so I have to use Adept software. Which is not favourable (Synthesize in Virtual Box and program in Windows).

Module is properly detected by Virtual Box and I can access FPGA on CMOD6 (Digilent Adept USB Device)

Impact seems very fragile (it even do not work under ISE - Configure Target Device).

I will appreciate if someone can tell me the workaround for Windows 10 "compatibility" issue .