All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi @benl, At the moment you can't use WFL to view the logged data. There are some challenges that surround this and we are working on finding a solution that best solves these problems. The dlog utility has yet to be updated to parse the OpenLogger .log files, as they have a different binary format from the OpenScope. If you are eager and have the capabilities to do so, we can provide you the .log header struct so that you can make your own parser. Otherwise, we'll be working on updating the dlog utility, and will let you know as soon as that has been done. Regards, AndrewHolzer
  3. Might be a little late, but did you manage to get this passthrough working and if so, how?
  4. Hi @jpeyron, Yes sure sir. I have attached a screenshot of block design with the code of my custom IP. And base address of my BRAM is 0x40000000. Similarly I've attached SDK code for transferring data from PS to first four locaiton of BRAM. Regards, Sami IP Core.txt SDK Code.txt
  5. Today
  6. Hi Attila, Thank you very much for your reply. Will try then your suggestion. Best,
  7. Just to be clear on the setup in case I did post this in the wrong place, I'm using: -Analog Discovery 2 -Waveforms Beta Version 3.11.2 64-bit Qt5.9.7 Windows 7 SP 1 -I'm using the Waveforms Spectrum Analyzer tool a lot, along with the API calls for the ADC. I do also look at the Waveforms scope for troubleshooting.
  8. @Raghunathan, Let's try a few more things here. First, can you remove the OpenLogger you have added there, and try adding it again while still on the network? What I'd like you to do differently is replace localhost with 127.0.0.1 when you are at the step where WFL requests the URL for the Agent. Are you running any anti-virus software on your machine? I don't expect it to be causing you any issue (and see no reason why turning on Airplane mode would affect it) but it's still a possibility. If you are running anti-virus, turn it off for a moment and try adding the device again. Another thing to try is to connect the OpenLogger to your WIN8.1 machine and run the Agent there, but use WFL on your WIN10 machine. When you go to add the Agent, replace localhost with the IP address of your WIN8.1 machine. Even if this works its still not an ideal setup. I'm asking you to try this so that I can get a better feel as to what the real issue is here. If you try all that and it still doesn't work, then I'd like you to try a new build of the Agent. You can download that here. Let me know what your results are. I will continue to research this issue and get to the bottom of it all. I personally appreciate your patience as we work through this issue, AndrewHolzer
  9. Hi, I'm stuck in SDK. I want to control visuals by manipulating an hdmi out design, but can't seem to get my software to run properly. I cant even xil_printf nor light some LEDs on my Zybo z20. Any suggestions? head.h helloworld.c
  10. @kwilber Good point.. of course the more you read the more you become familiar with Xilinx terminology. I've posted this this before but it can't hurt to repeat it with reference to this thread. Before trying to use Vivado or build a design you should download all of the relevant device and tools user's guides and reference material from Xilinx and speed read through them.. just to get a sense of what's involved, how Xilinx presents it material, and where useful information. Very few people will read though all of this once and be an expert or remember or even understand most of it. It's an iterative process. Read some stuff.. do some stuff. After a while things will make sense and you will develop a sense of what you need to learn before trying to implement more complex designs.
  11. One of the things those new to Xilinx struggle with is the terminology. I think this thread is a good example of that. The OP was thinking in terms like schematic and symbol whereas the Xilinx concepts are block design, IP, packaging and rtl module. While @zygot is correct that DocNav is the ultimate reference, I found my DocNav searches became more effective as I became more familiar with Xilinx terminology.
  12. zygot

AXI4 and Vivado ILA

In my experience this message generally does refer to the tools not being able to relate constraint names to source signal names. I don't use the board design flow quite the same way as you do. I get Vivado to create an HDL for the board design schematic. It's very important to make sure that your manage this file rather than use the default setting of Vivado managing the file. I then create a toplevel file that instantiates this HDL and also all of my one code. This is also where I would put my ILA. You need to understand that when you use Xilinx IP Vivado usually creates constraints files for that IP but you won't see it listed in the GUI. You have to go though the IP directory and look for it (them). Sometimes you can wade through all of the messages and find the source of the problem but not always. In my experience the more you let Vivado manage stuff the less informed you will be by what exactly Vivado is doing... so I've learned to restrict Vivado to the extent possible. It's a little more effort for me up front but much easier to resolve problems. Just before I was about to submit this I looked over your block diagram again. Are you sure that all of it wasn't optimized out since you are no longer connecting the MIPI interface to the PS? Try my approach and start over with the full working board design. Your toplevel source should be an HDL of your choice and you can tap off the input signals to connect to your ILA. An alternate approach would be to cut out the PS altogether and just do everything in your HDL. This might get messy as you'll have to make Vivado think that all of your output signals are being used.
  13. hello, I am new to designing with pmod wifi. I want to send audio files from pc to the zybo via pmod wifi and then process it then play it via output port. is it as easy as that example showed here? Bests, Meysam Sh.
  14. I can't (have no desire to...) argue with that. In fact I did pretty much the same thing when I created my first IP because I wanted to know how to do it. That was many years ago and I haven't done very many more since. But I am not you. Start with the Xilinx Document Navigator to find guides, turorials and application notes. What better place to learn how Xilinx intends for its tools to accomplish stuff. There are User Guides and Tutorials for a lot of tasks. Xilinx has (had?) a University program with tutorials. I think that there was a Zynq based tutorial for developing IP. It's been too long since I've had an interest for me to find these. Perhaps others with better memories can offer suggestions. In case it's not obvious why anyone would want to do this, most of my projects don't involve reliance on Xilinx IP or the board design flow in particular... to the extent possible I just use plain old HDL. Life is a lot easier when all of your sources are HDL. ( yeah there are exceptions like custom FIFOs, Clock generation etc but the reasons for using IP Wizards to create native code rather than instantiate a primitive or macro is not obvious). There are situations in which creating packages IP and a custom repository is useful so it isn't a bad skill to have in your back pocket.
  15. A couple Xilinx quick take videos to give you an overview. https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/referencing-rtl-modules-for-vivado-ip-integrator.html https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/packaging-custom-ip-integrator.html The IP packager user guide https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_2/ug1118-vivado-creating-packaging-custom-ip.pdf And chapter 12 in the IPI guide https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_1/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf
  16. Thanks for the response @Fa-b! I see the reference to ADG612 in the Analog Discovery 2 Reference Manual: https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/reference-manual And it's this section that also mentions just the two gain settings, low gain at 0.019 and high gain at 0.212, basically a factor of 10 apart.
  17. "all the bother" = learning experience. I've already been able to create the full adder via Verilog and then instantiated the full adder 8 times in yet another project - to create a full 8 bit adder. That was easy, no problems. Now, as I said, I'm trying to do the same thing via a schematic (block design). If you could give me the URLS to the guides AND tutorials regarding IP and repositories...I'd appreciate that. Thanks.
  18. Hello, The IP dvi2rgb and rgb2dvi is working great on my KC705 FPGA board. I wanted to move this design to the more modern Ultrascale+ board I have - is there a version of these designs ported to the newer FPGA architecture? Thanks!
  19. @Dan The viewpoint that I presented wasn't meant to be the only reasonable one. True, being able to say that you implemented a RISC-V processor on your Nexys-A7 doesn't involve life-threatening feats of daring-do. Though it might sound like I'm trying to discourage FPGA beginners from following recipes to accomplish what they aren't capable of accomplishing on their own that's not my intent. I'm merely suggesting that aeon20 listen to what he's said and re-evaluate his goals. I'd point out that the Wright brothers, who had no recipe and little in the way of tutorials ( they were not the first ones to fly or even attempt to fly ) they did have considerable practical experience in the mechanics of the parts of their experimental planes. My point is that they were leveraging their expertise in one area to try and accomplish a goal in another area. So I view your example as supporting my point. By the way building airplanes from a kit is a real thing. I've used recipes from others in building software applications for a particular brand of Linux that I want to use. I really don't want to figure out how all of the libraries, frameworks, scripts and tools used to build the application work; I just want to use the application on a particular version of a particular distribution of Linux. Sometimes this doesn't work out as in order to get my application I need to build the framework or tool from scratch and it end up being more work that I want to put into it. When it does succeed I still don't know how all of the dependencies ( and there can be a LOT of dependencies ) work and I don't care. If someone wants to play around with RISC-V there are development boards with silicon implementations of the processor that will be much higher performance than anything implemented in a low end FPGA. So the motivation must be different. Some will see using a recipe to build an application as the same thing as using a recipe to build an soft-processor. I would disagree. I'm not questioning the validity of anyone's motivation. I'm suggesting that there might be a more rewarding path.
  20. @grf It's good for the community that you've taken the time to post your experiences. Now the only question is whether or not Digilent cares enough to commit resources to resolving this for good. I'd suggest that since they are in the habit of replicating hardware to save development costs, whether the hardware should be replicated or not, such an effort will be in their best interests. Ultimately, this is not a customer problem to solve; but more useful information form customers should help guide the product developer's.
  21. D@n

RISC-V on Nexys A7?

@zygot I might argue that the Wright brothers nearly did exactly this, only they didn't start from a kit but rather had to build their own. Personally, I'd be scared stiff of riding an aircraft that hasn't already gone through some serious flight qualifications, or that doesn't (yet) have a full and complete flight manual. In this case, if the RISC-V system fails, you aren't likely to lose life or limb, but rather receive a challenge handed to you in your lap of fixing it. That could be a good thing, but it could also end the interest a newcomer has in the project. Dan
  22. Just to follow up on this. I did manage to remove the default demo app (after many attempts). Since then, I do find that my cmod A7 is now more accessible (probably 30-40% of the time - still not perfect - but better than the < 5% I saw previously) So I am able to write bitstreams to the device pretty consitently. Another observation (now I have removed the demo app) is that the first time I try to use the device (after it has been disconnected from USB power for a while) it is detected almost 100% of the time. Just cycling the power (once it has been up for a while) does not do it. I now am wondering whether this is because the device has had a chance to cool? Maybe my success after removing the demo app, is not because the default demo is using the uart, because my replacement app (which does nothing except illuminate a led when button is pressed) is using less power, and thus not thermally loading the device. Hmmm. Anyway I am far more productive now. So am reasonably pleased with this strategy.
  23. The following observation is merely a philosophical viewpoint. If you've never built anything or flown an aircraft would you try to assemble a DYI prop plane kit with the intention of learning how to be a self-taught pilot? I realize that most beginners are motivated by grand dreams and I'm not knocking that at all. Perhaps it's better to take the slow difficult road of developing skills and conceptual understanding before tackling difficult projects. You need a solid foundation to learn from other's code. You might well succeed in replicating kwiber's experience but it will be of limited usefulness.
  24. Hi @flying, There is a lot to unpack here. Firstly I would like to draw your attention to the fact that this post was originally started by malkauns regarding the porting of the petalinux project with PCAM capabilities to the Zybo Z7-10 board, very similar to a previous topic which you have started. If you follow the steps in the previous post by vicentiu you should have the HW configuration finished by vivado, and then all you need to run is: petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<PATH-TO-HDF-DIRECTORY> petalinux-build petalinux-package --boot --force --fsbl images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf --fpga images/linux/system_wrapper.bit --u-boot In the Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20 project and you should have everything working the way it's described in the projects readme. Secondly (although off topic), regarding the "the "desktop" of the Petalinux.", our petalinux project so far has no GUI in the FS(file system) therefore you will not be able to see anything on the HDMI display. The HDMI is currently configured as a pass trough, in the petalinux project, at 720p; which means everything that is sent via the HDMI RX connector is forwarded to the HDMI TX connector without processing. All of this is routed trough the FPGA, meaning that without programming the .bit into the FPGA, the HDMI will not work. For more details on this please refer to the block diagram of the Zybo-Z7-20-base-linux which is an intuitive description of what I explained here. Lastly, regarding the rest of the questions (also off topic), most are answered by reading trough the petalinux user guide ug1144 which describes how petalinux works and the workflow. I would also recommend reading up on how the Zynq processor is used in bare-metal and the role of the ps7_init files, the .bit, the .hdf and the BOOT.bin.Unfortunately going in to detail about these, would be hard without making it in to a tutorial or a step by step guide with page long explanations at every step. I hope this helped clarify some of your queries. -Ciprian
  25. There is some pretty messy aliasing happening in Waveforms Live's buffer view and also the main chart. For example, below is the AWG connected to channel 1, zoomed out. It looks fine on the main chart when zoomed in (though the buffer view remains full of alias artefacts). It would be great if the signal envelope was represented properly in both the buffer view and the chart, regardless of zoom.
  26. So I've successfully logged some data to SD card on the OpenLogger MZ (0.1807.0); I can download the .log file and though I've yet to try it I see the dlog utility can be used to spit out a CSV file. How can you use WFL to view the logged data?
  27. This article series evaluated the lowRisc and SiFive cores. I went through the lowRisc getting started guide on my Nexus A7 and it worked as advertised.
  1. Load more activity