Analog Discovery - Device is being used by another appication

Samuel Christopher

Question

HI ,

iam using Analog Discover 2 NI edition, for the first time, i used and measured the RC circuit analysis with Waveform 2015 ,i connected with USB and also external supply also i connected , when i opened digilent waveforms its directly connected and status is OK, then i measured , but all of  sudden after its not at  all detecting the device, when am selecting the current device in configuration settings its saying the error :DptilO failed ERC:0x2, the device is using by another application .device programming failed .i had used for other PC also saying the same, my Lappy USB serial drivers are also working fine. i connected another analog discovery first version its detected and working fine , but am facing the error when connected with analog Discovery 2 NI edition

i uninstalled waveforms 2015 and again installed, rebooted my windows 8.1, windows 7 , but the same error is comming .DptilO failed ERC:0x2, the device is using by another application .device programming failed.

Kindly help me to sort out he issue

Reagrds

Samuel Christopher

Sr.FAE-Technical

Capture.JPG

12 answers to this question

Hi @Samuel Christopher

It looks like some other application is blocking the access to the device.
Do you have any application installed for other FTDI based devices, like USB-UART, USB-JTAG/SPI programmer ?
If so, try closing these. You might have to look for them in Windows Device Manager under details.

You might also verify that the Load VCP option is not checked:

2 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Samuel Christopher

It looks like some other application is blocking the access to the device.
Do you have any application installed for other FTDI based devices, like USB-UART, USB-JTAG/SPI programmer ?
If so, try closing these. You might have to look for them in Windows Device Manager under details.

Hi Attila,

NO other FTDI devices 

its already uncheck,

still the same problem even though i changed number of USB cables, Updated driver, i done device fix program also, even though giving the same error,kindly do needful

Can u please rectify my issue and can make use of My analo Discovery 2 NI edition

Thanks

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Hi @Samuel Christopher

It is strange that after software error now you get a hardware error.
The "Jtsc: more than one device." indicates hardware damage of FPGA or buffers on the JTAG chain.

For warranty and replacement please contact support@digilentinc.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

I am having the same problem on MacOS and Windows machines.. Until last week the device was working with intermittent failures, which was "OK".. However, today it is mostly not listed. When it is listed, while trying the connection, the attached dialog appears.. Than it disappears.. I tried different cables, 5V 4A power supply etc.. Nothing changes.. On MacBook, on PC laptop, the same result.. On PC laptop it favors an USB port out of 3.. It works for 1 minute, than connections is lost..

On windows it is detected as serial device, sometimes with exclamation mark, sometimes "USB Device is not recognised" warning appears. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 17.54.29.png

Hi @attila

I've already tried the following:

1- MacBook Pro 2017 with USB-C to USB-A adapter

2- USB-C Hub with 1.5A output capability (it can charge the phones)

3- TP-LINK 7 Port self powered HUB, each of the ports can charge the phones at @2A. Funny thing is, with this HUB the device is not detected.. But if I add another USB3 hub without external power, the device was working.. In the past I was using with this configuration.

4- Asus N550 laptop. One of the USB ports can supply 2A..

As I mentioned, the device was working. On MacBook Pro, with USB-C to USB-A adapter, with the USB-C 4 port HUB, with different cables.. On N550 laptop, it worked with all of the ports. Except TP-Links powered hub. On that even Windows do not detect the device is connected..

I tried different brands and lengths of cables.. All of them are high current capable cables.. The result is the same.. I even tried a Dell laptop. It behaved the same..

I've a PicoScope 2406B  and 5443D. Both require high current are working on all above mentioned ports with ZERO problems..

@attila

As I mentioned, I even tried 5V 4A adapter.. On Status popup, the device was taking a few milliamps from USB, >300mA from external power.. The result is the same.. In less than a minute, it lost the connection..

BTW, the dependency on cable and hub power is a bad design.. If there is insufficient current, the device should report it without disconnecting. Even if none of the modules are used, the device takes >300mA current, which is also not good. I suspect, the device takes that much current from the beginning, before the USB negotiations are completed.. As far as I remember that is forbidden by the USB standard..

Hi @denizcan

In the device initially only the USB is operational, the digital circuitry is supplied but not functioning, the analog rails are not even supplied.
The USB tester shows ~80mA.

On software connection the digital circuitry gets programmed/configured and analog rails enabled.
Event if you are not performing acquisition or not generating signal, PLLs, the scope input (amplifiers, ADC) and Wavegen (DAC, amplifiers)... are operational and consuming power.
In this mode it takes about 300-400mA + load on Wavegens, supplies, DIOs...

image.thumb.png.b115360a0f792ac06dd350b32269b4c9.png

Hi @attila

Than what about my device? After 6 computers, 5 self powered hubs, many different cables now the WaveForms even do not detect the device.. Trying the AD2 with new computers became my new hobby.. As I said it worked for a month. Now it does not..

Do you suggest returning it to the rep?

Hi @denizcan

Such intermittent failures indicate contact issue, since you have tried several cables, it might be a broken microUSB plug or cold solder.

For warranty and replacement please contact support at digilentinc dot com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

Archived