Waveforms woks on Linux

Sanyi

Question

Hi All,I have an Analog Discovery, and I used to use it in VitualBox Xp. This was the only software I had to run on Windows. I decided to get rid ofWindows, so I had to  make the Waveforms  ready for Linux. It is a quite easy task to do:

1. Install 32bit wine.

2.  export WINEARCH=win32

3.  winetricks --gui dlls   select msxml3 and dotnet35

4. Install Waveforms. Now the Waveforms must run in demo mode.

5. Install digilent.adept.runtime_2.15.3-i686 and digilent.waveforms_2.7.5-i386

6. cp dwf.dll.so dwf.def  /usr/local/lib64/wine   (in my case) you mustcheck your wine inst. dirs

7. cp dwf.dll.fake /usr/local/lib64/wine/fakedlls/

Enjoy your Linux Waveforms!

Sanyi

files.tar.gz

9 answers to this question

Hi -AjitJ

If dwfcmd enum works, your runtime is OK.

If Wavefoms works in demo mode, the wine installation is Ok.

The problem can be, that you have 64/32 bit wine version and you've copied the attached files to the 64 bit lib dirs.

I copied the attached files to /usr/lib32/wine/ and /usr/lib32/wine/fakedlls/ folders and it worked :)

Thanks Sanyi

-AjitJ

I am wondering if this is something to do with the different version of runtime. Do I need to recreate the wine related files (as attached in your post)?

Any other ideas / suggestions how I can fix this?

Hi -AjitJ

If dwfcmd enum works, your runtime is OK.

If Wavefoms works in demo mode, the wine installation is Ok.

The problem can be, that you have 64/32 bit wine version and you've copied the attached files to the 64 bit lib dirs.

Hi Sanyi,

Thanks for posting this. I am trying to get waveforms running on my gentoo 64bit laptop. I followed all your steps with one major difference. I can only find digilent.adept.runtime_2.16.1-i686. This version of runtime doesn't proceed after sensing that its a 64bit linux. I modified the install.sh to get installation done. 32bit dwfcmd that is part of digilent.waveforms_2.7.5-i386 is able to detect the connected Analog Discovery.

When I run the wine + waveforms it doesn't detect the connected device

I am wondering if this is something to do with the different version of runtime. Do I need to recreate the wine related files (as attached in your post)?

Any other ideas / suggestions how I can fix this?

Thanks,

-AjitJ

Hello,

I followed your instructions, and everything seems be fine, except that the device is not detected from Wine, and WaveForms complains about the DLL version being different than the WaveForms version.

$ wine DWFCMD.exe enum
fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please report bugs at http://bugs.wine-staging.com (instead of winehq.org).
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
Enumeration found 0 connected devices.

But, things look fine from the native SDK:

$ dadutil enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: Discovery
    Product Name:   Analog Discovery
    User Name:      Discovery
    Serial Number:  XXXXXXXXXXXX

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong? Also, could you provide instructions on recreating the DLL? That may help.

I'm running wine-1.7.43 (Staging) on Fedora.

Thanks,

EDIT: I noticed the same major difference as AjitJ. My runtime version is digilent.adept.runtime-2.16.1.i686. It'd be great to be able to rebuild the DLL for this older version, or, alternatively, to find a link to this older version of the runtime.

EDIT2: I found a link to the old runtime version using Wayback Machine. This older runtime seems very similar to the current one (most files are identical even), but yet I didn't get it to work under Wine.

Hi,

have You installed the digilent.waveforms_2.7.5-i386?

What is the output of dwfcmd enum? (linux not wine)

The DLL is version independent. It is only a "function wrapper" for digilent.adept.runtime. It reports the adept.runtime version to Waveforms.

I can give you the source code of DLL if you need it. It must be compiled under wine_devel env, not easy, I can not give support for it.

The native linux version of Waveforms is ready, works fine. Check the forum, and if you send an email to Attila (waveforms@digilentinc.com), he will give you a download link.

Regards,

Sanyi

I'm a new user to Linux, I'm currently using Mint 17.3.

I installed Waveforms using Wine and now I'm able to run it on safe mode.

Using the "dwfcmd enum" it shows my discovery board connected but it's not recognized by the Waveforms

I downloaded the digilent.adept.runtime_2.16.1-2_i386.deb and digilent.waveforms_2.7.5-i386.deb and installed using the package installer.

I couldn't find the path to copy the "dwf's" files. How do I find the path for lib64/wine or lib32/wine?

Thanks for your help.

Edit 1: Found the folder on /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/ and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/ and copied the dwf files but now the command dwfcmd enum doesn't work anymore.

Regards,

Radel.

On 11/01/2016 at 9:14 AM, attila said:

The new WaveForms 2015 (v3.x) GUI is natively supported on Linux.
See: https://reference.digilentinc.com/waveforms3

Thanks, I didn't see your comment because I forgot to follow the post. I also didn't see the new version for the software, now I've installed it and it's working on my Linux Mint 17.3.

The only option I didn't find in the new version of the software is to create a custom signal in the waveform generator by clicking with mouse cursor, like it was possible on the older version of the software.

In WaveForms 2015 the Custom waveform is under Wavegen Custom configuration mode (options: Simple,Basic,Custom,Sweep,Advanced).

In WaveForms 2016 (sent you in PM) the Custom editor is available in any mode and the waveforms are shared between channels and modes. In this version the waveform can also be edited by mouse, generated and altered (add,multiply) by other waveforms.

Archived